The Schweinfurth Art Center’s annual Quilts=Art=Quilts exhibition is opening at the end of October and, with it, a weekend of events for quilters. Events include a Pat Pauly fabric printing workshop, the opening reception for the exhibition, and a brunch followed by a tour of the exhibit led by Schweinfurth’s executive director.
Quilts=Art=Quilts is an annual juried quilt exhibition that has been held annually since the art center opened in 1981. Each year, the exhibit attracts competitive entries from some of the world's leading quilt makers and fiber artists. The 2019 version features 73 quilts from 64 artists.
While most of the quilts were made by U.S. artists, six pieces are by international artists who hail from Australia, Canada, England, and South Korea. QAQ 2019 will be on display from Oct. 26, 2019, through Jan. 5, 2020.
Jurors for the exhibition were Claire Benn, one of the United Kingdom’s leading mixed media and textile artists, and Petra Fallaux, a Dutch native who creates and teaches textile arts, writes, and curates textile exhibitions.
Quilters’ Weekend begins on Wednesday, Oct. 23, with the start of a four-day Studio Schweinfurth workshop, “On Your Mark – Print!,” taught by Rochester artist Pat Pauly. Registration is required for the workshop, which costs $520 for Schweinfurth members and $530 for nonmembers.
Other events include:
• Opening reception for “Quilts=Art=Quilts” exhibition, 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. The reception is free and open to the public
• Quilter’s Brunch at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 27 at the Springside Inn, featuring a talk by QAQ juror Petra Fallaux. The brunch costs $22 and registration is required.
• Executive Director’s QAQ Tour at 1 p.m. The tour is free with $10 admission to the exhibits.
The Schweinfurth is offering additional related events through QAQ’s run:
• Trunk Shows featuring QAQ exhibiting artists at 2 p.m. Sundays Nov. 3 and 24 and Dec. 1; free with $10 exhibit admission. Nov. 3 features Joyce Martelli, Nov. 24 is Melissa Matson, and Dec. 1 features Denise Kooperman.
• Fiber Market noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 10 featuring goods direct from local farms, artisans, and artists; free with $10 exhibit admission. Thomas Knauer, author of the newly released book “Why We Quilt: Contemporary Makers Speak Out about the Power of Art, Activism, Community, and Creativity,” will show his quilts and sign copies of his book.
• Fall Fiber Retreat 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 15 to 17, featuring the Schweinfurth’s sewing and wet studios. Cost is $110 for members, $120 for nonmembers; registration is required.
For more information or to register for any of these events, please link to our website at www.myartcenter.org or call 315-255-1553.